UK

Crawley terror arrest man released on bail

A 40-year-old man arrested on suspicion of terror offences has been released on bail until May.

He was held in Crawley, West Sussex, on Wednesday morning under Section 11 of the Terrorism Act and a residential property was searched.

The arrest is understood to be connected to the conflict in Syria.

But a community leader said the case was not thought to be linked to another man from Crawley, who died in a suspected suicide attack in Syria.

Abdul Waheed Majeed, 41, died after driving a truck bomb into the gates of a prison in Aleppo in February last year. The father-of-three had left the UK in 2013, telling his family he was going on a humanitarian mission to Syria.

Sussex Police confirmed the man's arrest on Wednesday, by its officers and the South East Counter Terrorism Unit, was not connected to any immediate threat in the UK.

The man was released on bail on Wednesday evening, a spokesman for the force added.

Crawley MP Henry Smith said police had informed him of the arrest, thought to be in the Langley Green area of the town.

He said: "I understand he has been arrested in relation to membership of organisations which are connected with activity to the Syrian civil war."

Community leader Arif Syed said he had known the arrested man for seven or eight years and people in Crawley were "shocked and surprised" at the news.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites