Islamic State group: 'Files' reveal details of British recruits
More details have been emerging about British recruits to so-called Islamic State (IS) who travelled in 2013-14 to fight jihad in Syria and Iraq.
The BBC can reveal that one of the men had been part of a police investigation into the widespread theft of money from pensioners.
Another fled the UK while on licence following a conviction for conspiracy to rape, while a teenager from London told his IS recruiters he worked in a hospital helping doctors carry out operations.
The data is contained in what appear to be 17 IS registration documents completed when the men arrived in Syria and which were passed to the BBC by the Syrian opposition website Zaman al-Wasl.
The recruits were asked to complete 23 questions about their background, including whether they wanted to be fighters or suicide bombers.
One of them, Mohammed Jakir, who abandoned his law degree to go to Syria, said he wanted to be a suicide bomber.
None of them had done jihad before and all of them indicated they only had a basic knowledge of their faith.
Among the profiles are:
Ibrahim Kabir Sadik, 27
Sadik, who settled in the UK after leaving Eritrea as a child, is a convert to Islam. He had been a teacher after graduating with an economics degree.
The BBC has learned that he is linked to a large group of men who were convicted of an "industrial scale" fraud targeting £1m from pensioners in the UK.
Court papers show that £15,000 was transferred into his account, having been stolen from a 73-year-old woman in Cornwall.
Sadik had left the UK for Syria six months earlier. From there he contacted his family, who had reported him missing to the police, telling them he was with IS.
He left the UK in August 2013 while on licence following his conviction for conspiracy to rape a 16-year-old girl in North London. He was one of a group of four men who were jailed.
His IS file says he studied at university and was killed fighting in Homs in 2013.
He is not the first jihadist to leave the UK when on licence for a serious violent offence.
London jihadist Mohommod Nawaz breached his licence following his conviction in 2009 for blackmail, false imprisonment, kidnap and wounding. He travelled to Syria but was convicted of terrorism offences when he returned to the UK.
There are at least a handful of others who were able to flee the UK while on police bail. They include Siddartha Dhar, who is believed to have taken part in a filmed execution of hostages in Syria.
When it emerged he had left Britain despite being under investigation, it led to calls for stricter conditions for those bailed on suspicion of terrorism offences
A member of his family confirmed to the BBC that he had been killed fighting with IS though it appears his date of birth was inaccurately recorded on his registration papers.
He travelled later than others in the files, arriving in Syria in June 2014. He told his recruiters that he had a law degree and had worked in a hospital or clinic assisting with surgical operations.
His IS file shows that having crossed into Syria in December 2013, he said he wanted to be a suicide bomber. According to the Mail on Sunday he abandoned a law degree to join IS and was killed seven weeks later. His family declined our request to be interviewed.