Marbella hit-and-run: Two Britons arrested as eight injured
Two British men have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and reckless driving in the Costa del Sol, Spanish police have said.
The pair drove in a pedestrianised zone in the Puerto Banus area of Marbella, running down three people.
Police said the men, aged 28 and 29, left the scene and crashed their car into two other vehicles, injuring five more people, and then tried to run off.
The local force said the men were under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
None of those involved in the incident on Sunday evening suffered life-threatening injuries, but some received hospital treatment.
In a news conference, the local police chief, Javier Martin, said one of the British men had been treated at the Costa del Sol hospital, but had been discharged.
Both men tested positive for alcohol, he said. One also tested positive for cocaine and the other for cannabis.
He said that both men had been involved in an altercation in a nightclub in Puerto Banus but had then left in the car.
Dashcam footage from a nearby driver shows a black Audi Q7 driving in the wrong direction on a dual-carriageway, before crashing head-on with another vehicle.
The two Britons, one of whom police say is a Marbella resident, are currently being questioned by police in southern Spain.
The mayor of Marbella, Jose Bernal, described the events as "exceptional" and said "Marbella is a safe city".