Parsons Green bomb: Police make sixth arrest in inquiry

Police search house in Thornton Heath Image copyright PA
Image caption A search is being carried out by police at an address in Thornton Heath, south London

Police have arrested a 17-year-old boy in south London in connection with last Friday's terror attack on a Tube train.

The teenager was detained after officers executed a warrant in Thornton Heath at around midnight on Thursday.

It takes the total number of arrests in the investigation to six, all of whom remain in custody at a south London police station.

A homemade bomb partially exploded on a rush hour District Line train at Parsons Green, injuring 30 people.

Police have begun a search of a property in St Paul's Road where the teenager was arrested under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act.

Neighbours told the BBC it was is a privately owned "halfway house" used by asylum-seekers, with at least six bedrooms.

They also described how police officers in riot helmets arrived at the scene around midnight and broke down the door.

More officers later arrived in overalls to search the property, with some seen searching an overgrown garden and others erecting a tent on the street in front of the house.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Officers could be seen searching the garden at the rear of the property on St Paul's Road

Commander Dean Haydon, head of Scotland Yard's Counter Terrorism Command, said: "This continues to be a fast-moving investigation.

"A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday.

"We now have six males in custody and searches are continuing at five addresses.

"Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack."

Further searches are continuing at two addresses in Surrey and are expected to last some days, the police said.

Image copyright Social media
Image caption Police have until Thursday to question 21-year-old Yahyah Farroukh

Three men, aged 25, 30 and 48, have been arrested in Newport, south Wales, a 21-year-old - named as Yahyah Farroukh - was detained in Hounslow, west London, and an 18-year-old man was arrested at the Port of Dover.

The 18-year-old arrested man is thought to have lived in a foster home owned by Ronald and Penelope Jones, in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey.

He is thought to have moved to the UK from Iraq aged 15 when his parents died.

The BBC has learnt that he had been referred to an anti-extremist programme before his arrest.

It is not known who made the referral and when, or how serious the concerns were.

A time limit on Mr Farroukh's detention is expected to expire on Thursday, while detectives have been given until Saturday to continue questioning the 18-year-old.

More on this story