England

Two men bailed in alley shooting probe

Shooting scene
Image caption The area was cordoned off while forensic investigations were carried out

Two men arrested in connection with the shooting of two men in an alleyway in County Durham have been released on bail.

One man, 59, remains in hospital after the shooting in Spennymoor on Saturday, police said. His injuries are not considered life-threatening.

The second man, aged 40, was released from hospital after treatment.

Police arrested an 18-year-old man and another aged 32. They have been bailed pending further inquiries.

Officers are trying to trace a white van which was in Clyde Terrace at the time of the shooting.

Police believe the men were shot at the back of Clyde Terrace in an "altercation" with people they knew.

Acting Ch Insp Tony Avery, of Durham Police, said he believed the victims had been deliberately targeted and that the wider community was not at risk.

"Our inquiries are continuing," he said.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites