England

Newmarket thatched cottage badly damaged in fire

A cottage at Newmarket has been badly damaged by fire.

Ten fire crews from Cambridgeshire and Norfolk were called to the blaze at the entrance to the National Stud, close to the July Racecourse, early on Thursday.

About 75% of the cottage roof, which was both tiled and thatched, was destroyed in the fire.

The cause of the fire has been confirmed as accidental and is thought to have started in the electrics in the roof.

The occupier was at home and heard a loud bang. He fled the property and dialled 999.

When he was outside he looked up at the roof and saw flames coming from the thatch.

Crews from Newmarket, Burwell, Swaffham, Cambridge, Soham and Ely and a turntable ladder from Cambridge were called to the fire which broke out just after 0020 GMT.

Dave Richardson from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews worked throughout the night with the turntable ladder and using hose reels to try and stop the fire from spreading into the tiled section.

"However, once a fire has started in a thatch roof it is extremely difficult to stop it from spreading."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites