England

Leicester flats evacuated after fire

A three-storey block of flats in Leicester has been evacuated after a fire at a first-floor apartment.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said one person was taken to hospital after the fire at Cross Hedge Close in Beaumont Leys.

Fire crews were called to the building at 05:30 BST.

People living in the flats above the fire were evacuated from the block and the scale of the damage was being assessed, a fire spokesman said.

He said the fire was probably caused by an unattended candle and that crews were damping down at the building.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites