Bucknell tent death girl Hannah Thomas-Jones's family 'devastated'

Hannah was a year 9 pupil at Wilmslow High School.

Related Stories

The family of a teenage girl who died at a Shropshire campsite from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning have said they are "devastated".

Hannah Thomas-Jones, 14, was found dead inside a tent, where family members were discovered unconscious, on Sunday.

A used disposable barbecue was found near Hannah, and her brother Ben, 11, mother Danielle and stepfather Phil.

The three family members have all since been released from Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.

A statement from the family has revealed how other family members at the campsite were concerned on the Sunday morning "due to a lack of activity in Danielle and Phil's tent".

'Unimaginable sadness'

It read: "Upon entering the tent we realised something was dreadfully wrong.

"We immediately ran to the Baron of Beef pub to raise the alarm and contacted the emergency services.

"The occupants of a nearby tent also assisted in performing CPR on a member of the family and this continued until the emergency services arrived.

"Hannah was a beautiful, intelligent, talented sister, daughter, cousin and granddaughter.

Hannah Thomas-Jones Hannah has been described as an "adorable teenager" by her family

"She was a talented pianist, a sportswoman and had a wonderful warming sense of humour.

"Hannah was an adorable teenager who will be missed with unimaginable sadness.

"Hannah will be forever in our and many people's memories.

"The joy that she gave in the short period she graced this earth was a blessing to all. We miss and love her so very, very much.

"We would like to extend our gratitude and thanks to the emergency services, the families and owners at the campsite for all the support they provided."

'A* pupil'

The head teacher at Wilmslow High School, Cheshire, where Hannah was in year 9, said her death was a sad loss.

Gillian Bremner said: "Our sympathies go out to her family at this time after such a tragic incident.

"She was a very able girl and was just about to do a short course in religious studies which we expected her to get an A* in."

West Midlands Ambulance service said Hannah had been pronounced dead at the campsite in Bucknell, south Shropshire.

Phil and Debra Wright, who own the Baron at Bucknell pub and its adjacent campsite, said they had seen a disposable barbecue in the porch of the family's tent.

A spokesperson from the police said officers were continuing to work on the investigation with Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Hannah's death is not being treated as suspicious.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More England stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • UndergroundTravel books

    BBC Culture goes underground to discuss what Londoners are reading on the go

Programmes

  • Evan Blass (known as evLeaks on Twitter)Click

    One of the world's top technology leakers - Evan Blass - explains how he gathers his secrets

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.