Child molester Alan Rogers' death was suicide

Lincoln Prison gates
Image caption Mr Rogers was ordered to live in a Leicester hostel after his release from Lincoln Prison in March

A convicted child molester killed himself after being told he could not return to his former home after his release from jail, an inquest was told.

Alan Rogers, 52, was ordered to live at a hostel in Leicester but failed to turn up following his release from Lincoln Prison in March.

His decomposed body was found a month later when a dog walker found him hanged at a disused shelter in a field in Heighington, near Lincoln.

A verdict of suicide was recorded.

Suicide note

The inquest at Lincoln Cathedral Centre heard Rogers appeared to have been living in the disused horse shelter.

Bedding, discarded beer cans and the remains of a fire were found inside the structure.

A suicide "note" was etched on the wall using charcoal from the embers of the fire.

Rogers, whose last home was in Hinckley Road in Cadeby, near Market Bosworth, Leicestershire, was jailed for three years in 1996 after he was convicted of indecently assaulting five young girls he met through his interest in horse riding.

He was jailed again at Leicester Crown Court in September last year when he was given a 12 months sentence after admitting twice breaching a risk of sexual harm order.

That hearing was told Rogers, who was banned from contacting young girls, made contact with a girl using his horse as "bait" to attract her attention.

Rogers had hoped to return to Cadeby but was ordered to live at a hostel after the owner of the property where he planned to live was attacked within 48 hours of details of his forthcoming release being published.

The inquest was told he believed he was being wrongly targeted by Leicestershire Police.

West Lincolnshire deputy coroner Paul Smith recorded a verdict of suicide on Rogers, whose body was found on 15 April.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites