Sussex Police get fresh leads over Brighton beach rape

CCTV image of Brighton beach rape suspect The man was seen walking up West Street towards the clock tower

Related Stories

Detectives investigating the rape of a 19-year-old woman on Brighton beach last year have received 13 new leads after an appeal on Crimewatch.

Police want to trace a man seen on CCTV who was near the scene of the attack last September within about 20 minutes of it taking place.

The woman, from Kent, told officers she was raped by two men while a third looked on.

Sussex Police said the television appeal had a positive response.

Last year, a 28-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of rape and bailed pending further inquiries.

Two other men were also arrested last October but released with no further action to be taken against them.

Det Insp Ian Still said: "This was a nasty attack which has greatly affected both the lives of the victim and her family."

'Separated from friends'

Adding that some callers had provided names which would be investigated, he said he hoped police would continue to receive more information.

He said police needed to identify the man shown in the CCTV images and talk to him to eliminate him from their inquiries.

The CCTV shows the man going into a nightclub at about 22:30 GMT on 6 September, and then leaving the club to walk up West Street and into Duke Street early on 7 September.

Officers have previously said the victim left the same club in the early hours of 7 September and was attacked on the beach near West Street.

Police said she became separated from her friends after a night out in Brighton.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More England stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Prostitute in red light district in Seoul, South KoreaSex for soldiers

    How Korea helped prostitutes work near US military bases


  • LuckyDumped

    The rubbish collector left on the scrap heap as his city cleans up


  • A woman gets a Thanksgiving meal at a church in FergusonFamily fears

    Three generations in Ferguson share Thanksgiving reflections


  • Walmart employees and supporters block off a major intersection near the Walton Family Foundation to stage a protest calling for $15 an hour and consistent full-time work in downtown Washington October 16, 2014. Black mark

    Wal-Mart workers revolt against the annual shopping bonanza


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • UnderwaterHidden depths

    How do you explore the bottom of the ocean? BBC Future finds out

Programmes

  • All-inclusive holidaysThe Travel Show Watch

    With all-inclusive holidays seeing a resurgence are local trades missing out to big resorts?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.