Essex music festivalgoer's death linked to amphetamine

Festival organisers say they have a zero tolerance policy over drugs

A man has died and his girlfriend is ill after attending a music festival in Essex where they are thought to have taken an amphetamine substance.

They were at the Brownstock festival at Stow Maries near South Woodham Ferrers and took 5-EAPB, police said.

The man, in his 30s, died at Basildon Hospital on Sunday. His girlfriend's condition was said to be stable.

A second man, a friend of the couple, is also undergoing tests. All three who were taken ill are from central Essex.

The substance was bought over the internet to be used at the music festival, police said.

Police warnings about the drug were circulated to people attending the last night of the festival.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More England stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • TricycleTreasure trove

    The lost property shop stuffed with diamonds, bikes... and a leg


  • Boris Nemtsov'I loved Nemtsov'

    A murder in an atmosphere of hatred and intolerance


  • Image of George from Tube CrushTube crush

    How London's male commuters set Chinese hearts racing


  • INDHUJA'Dorky tomboy'

    The Indian who attracted proposals through honesty


Elsewhere on the BBC

Programmes

  • Kinetic sculpture violinClick Watch

    The "kinetic sculpture" that can replicate digital files and play them on a violin

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.