London 'slavery' case women met 'in collective'

Police officers patrol near flats in Brixton, south London Police are carrying out door-to-door inquiries in Brixton
Police officers patrol near flats in Brixton, south London Inquiries are being carried out in and around Peckford Place
A PCSO speaks to a driver near flats in Brixton, south London, as police are conducting house-to-house inquires in Brixton The case came to light after the Irish woman rang Freedom Charity to say she had been held against her will

Related Stories

Two of three women who were allegedly held as slaves in London for at least 30 years met a man who has been arrested via a collective, police say.

Officers said they met "through a shared political ideology" before living together.

Three women were rescued last month from a house in London after one of them called a charity asking for help.

A couple, arrested on Thursday, migrated from India and Tanzania in the 1960s, said police.

Police are making house-to-house inquiries in and around Peckford Place in Brixton, south London, which is near to where the suspects were arrested.

'Gain trust'

Start Quote

We believe emotional and physical abuse has been a feature of all the victims' lives”

End Quote Cdr Steve Rodhouse Metropolitan Police

The alleged victims - a 30-year-old British woman, a 57-year-old Irish woman and a 69-year-old Malaysian woman - are now in the care of a specialist non-governmental organisation after they were rescued from what police said was a "residential address" last month.

Police said the 30-year-old woman had a birth certificate but no other official papers.

The case came to light after the Irish woman rang Freedom Charity to say she had been held against her will.

The two people arrested are thought to be married. The man is 73 while the woman is 67. They had been held on suspicion of immigration offences and have been released on police bail until January.

Police had previously said they had also been arrested in the 1970s but have not revealed what it was in connection with.

In a statement, Cdr Steve Rodhouse of the Metropolitan Police, said: "We believe that two of the victims met the male suspect in London through a shared political ideology, and that they lived together at an address that you could effectively call a 'collective'.

"Somehow that collective came to an end and the women ended up continuing to live with the suspects.

Simon Clemison reports from the door-to-door inquiries in Brixton

"How this resulted in the women living in this way for over 30 years is what are seeking to establish, but we believe emotional and physical abuse has been a feature of all the victims' lives."

He said when the women were removed from the house on 25 October it was agreed "that police would not at that stage take any action".

"Since that date we have been working to gain their trust and evidence, that came to fruition on 21 November when we were in a position to make arrests," he said.

Start Quote

What needs to happen now is that the three victims... are able to go through their rehabilitation undisturbed, without being identified”

End Quote Aneeta Prem Freedom Charity
'Emotionally fragile'

"Between 25 October and 21 November none of the three victims were reported missing to the police."

Cdr Rodhouse said the women were "emotionally fragile and highly vulnerable".

Aneeta Prem, founder of Freedom Charity, told BBC News the three women are "quite stressed about the amount of detail that is being revealed".

She said they were "very concerned about the media attention" and they are worried that they will be found.

Ms Prem said: "These women have had traumatic and disturbing experiences, which they have revealed to us.

"What needs to happen now is that the three victims, who have begun a long process of recovery, are able to go through their rehabilitation undisturbed, without being identified."

Neighbour Abdul Rogers said: "It's really shocking. It's a kind of quiet area. The problem with this place is people don't speak to each other."

Earlier, Frank Field MP, chair of the Modern Slavery Bill evidence review, said the case was just the "tip of a rather large iceberg".

"We've had this example of domestic slavery but people are being imported to work, almost for nothing, in industry," he told BBC Breakfast.

"We've got begging gangs being developed, with people being imported. And of course we've got the whole question of how children are being imported to work."

The Modern Slavery Bill, which is due to published in the coming weeks, is designed to increase the penalty of those convicted to life imprisonment and create an anti-slavery commissioner.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC London

Weather

London

25 °C 15 °C

BBC Local Live

  1.  
    Tube cut claims 'nonsense' 11:32:

    Phil Hufton, London Underground's Chief Operating Officer, said it was "nonsense" to suggest plans to change staffing at Tube stations would not benefit stations, after the London Assembly Labour Group said the proposals would mean a staff cut of over 50% at some stations.

    A London Underground Tube train

    Hufton added: "Under our proposals there will be more staff visible and available to help our passengers and keep them safe and secure as they will be brought out from behind glass windows and back offices to work where people need them - within ticket halls, and on concourses and platforms."

     
  2.  
    Tube staff cuts 'beggar belief' 11:20:

    London Underground passengers are "getting less for more" on the Tube as fares rise while staff numbers are cut, said Val Shawcross, Labour's London Assembly transport spokesperson.

    London Underground escalator at Swiss Cottage

    She said: "It beggars belief that with tube fares due to rise by 2.5% in January, Boris Johnson has the nerve to cut front line staffing levels at stations by an average of 16% across London."

     
  3.  
    Feedback 11:10:

    We've introduced BBC Local Live to bring you the latest news, sport, travel and weather all in one place. Tell us what you think.

     
  4.  
    News on the hour 11:00:

    On BBC London 94.9 at 11:00:

    • Police name Arnis Zalkalns as a suspect in the disappearance of teenager Alice Gross, and reveal he was imprisoned for murder in his home country Latvia in the 1990s
     
  5.  
    Tube station reform: Staff 'more visible' 10:47:

    Phil Hufton, London Underground's Chief Operating Officer, said the detail of proposed changes to staffing on the Tube could change as consultation continues, following claims from the London Assembly Labour Group that up to 58% of station workers would go.

    London Underground sign at Westminster

    He added: "Every station will remain staffed at all times whilst the service is running and there will be even more visible staff available to help customers including those with disabilities."

     
  6.  
    Tube staff cuts: 'Worst affected' 10:32:

    Planned staff cuts at London Underground stations will lead to a loss of up to 58% of workers at some Tube stations, according to the London Assembly Labour group, with these six stations losing the highest proportions of staff:

    • Barons Court (District and Piccadilly Lines)
    • Edgware (Northern Line)
    • Finchley Central (Northern Line)
    • Kilburn (Jubilee Line)
    • Dagenham Heathway (District Line)
    • Parsons Green (District Line)
     
  7.  
    Alice Gross: Police hunt suspect's bike 10:22:

    Police have appealed for the public's help in tracking down the red mountain bike seen ridden by Arnis Zalkalns, who has been named as a suspect in the case of missing teenager Alice Gross.

    CCTV of Arnis Zalkalns

    Zalkalns was seen on CCTV riding his bike along a route in west London that was used about 15 minutes earlier by the missing teenager.

     
  8.  
    Alice Gross: Suspect 'could pose risk to public' 10:13:

    Police searching for suspect Arnis Zalkalns in the case of missing teenager Alice Gross say he may pose a risk to the public.

     
  9.  
    Alice Gross: Suspect 'in UK since 2007' 10:09:

    Arnis Zalkalns, who is wanted as a suspect in the case of missing teenager Alice Gross, has been in the UK since 2007, and has a partner and young child living in Ealing, police said.

    Officers have received more than 100 calls to the Find Alice investigation after an appeal on BBC Crimewatch earlier this week.

     
  10.  
    Alice Gross: Arnis Zalkalns 'not wanted man' 10:03:

    Arnis Zalkalns, who police are searching for in relation to the missing teenager Alice Gross, was not a wanted man in his home country Latvia after serving seven years in prison for murder, and was not on UK records, said the Met.

    Missing teenager Alice Gross

    Latvian authorities told the Met about Zalkalns' murder conviction "in the last few days", said a police spokesman.

     
  11.  
    News on the hour 10:00:

    On BBC London 94.9 at 10:00

    • Police are treating Latvian Arnis Zalkalns as a suspect in the disappearance of teenager Alice Gross, revealing that he had been convicted of murder in his homeland in the 1990s
     
  12.  
    Alice Gross: Wanted man missing 09:51:

    Arnis Zalkalns has not been since Wednesday 3 September and was reported reported missing from his home in Ealing by his partner two days later.

    A police spokesman appealed for information on his whereabouts, saying: "I want anyone who may have seen him after that date, or who may have helped him by giving him money or somewhere to stay, to call and speak to us."

     
  13.  
    Alice Gross: Wanted man convicted of Latvia murder 09:47:

    Arnis Zalkalns, who is being hunted by police in connection with the disappearance of Alice Gross, was convicted of murder in Latvia in the late 1990s and served seven years in prison, said police.

    Arnis Zalkalns

    He was arrested in London in 2009 for indecently assaulting a girl but no further action was taken.

     
  14.  
    Alice Gross: Zalkalns disappearance 'out of character' 09:43:

    Since Arnis Zalkalns was last seen at his home in Ealing on the evening of Wednesday, 3 September he has not accessed his bank account or used his mobile phone and his passport was left at his house, said police.

    Friends and family of Arnis have told police that his disappearance is completely out of character, and they are very concerned for him.

     
  15.  
    Alice Gross: Man caught on CCTV 09:41:

    Detectives trying to find 14-year-old Alice Gross are treating 41-year-old Arnis Zalkalns as a suspect, and say he was seen on CCTV cycling along Brentford Lock at 16:00hrs about 15 minutes after Alice walked that route.

    Alice Gross
     
  16.  
    Alice Gross BREAKING NEWS

    Police have said the man they are searching for in relation to the case of missing teenager Alice Gross, Arnis Zalkalns, is being treated as a suspect in her disappearance.

    A reward of £20,000 is being offered for anyone with information that leads to the discovery of the teenager.

     
  17.  
    Tube cuts 'mean 16% staff drop' 09:21:

    Cuts to staff on the London Underground will lead to 588 frontline workers losing their jobs, with some stations losing up to 58% of their staff, according to analysis from the London Assembly Labour Group.

    London Underground

    Val Shawcross, the Labour Group transport spokesperson, said current proposals would mean station staff being cut by an average of almost 16% from January 2015.

     
  18.  
    London Bridge disruption 09:11: Paul Murphy-Kasp Journalist, BBC London

    There have been delays and cancellations on Southeastern and Thameslink trains through London Bridge because of a signal failure.

    For the latest travel updates on twitter, follow @BBCTravelAlert

     
  19.  
    News on the hour 09:00:

    On BBC London 94.9 at 09:00:

    • Police searching for the missing west London teenager Alice Gross will release more information at a news conference this morning, to mark three weeks since she disappeared.
     
  20.  
    Chelsea's Costa in injury warning 08:56:

    Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho suggested Diego Costa is not ready to start more than one game a week after using him as a substitute in the Champions League draw with Schalke last night.

    Chelsea striker Diego Costa

    Striker Costa came on in the 74th minute as Chelsea drew 1-1 in their Champions League Group G opener, but is still suffering from a hamstring strain he suffered playing for Spain on 4 September.

     
  21.  
    Top headlines
  22.  
    On air 08:43: Vanessa Feltz Presenter, BBC London 94.9

    On BBC London 94.49 at 09:00, a government advisor on racism has told the BBC that Islamic State extremism and the child sex abuse scandal in Rotherham have led to a right wing backlash against British Muslims.

     
  23.  
    Ebola nurse travels to US 08:30:

    A British nurse who recovered from Ebola has travelled to the US to donate blood to try to save the life of another victim of the virus.

    Will Pooley

    Will Pooley, 29, was discharged from the Royal Free Hospital in north-west London two weeks ago where he received treatment in a special isolation unit.

     
  24.  
    Two charged over Battersea shooting 08:20:

    Two men have been charged with murder after a man was shot in south London.

    Sebastian Hyman-Knight, 21, was found by police on Tennyson Street in Battersea, late on the night of 11 September.

     
  25.  
    Tube delays 08:15: Paul Murphy-Kasp Journalist, BBC London

    On the Tube, there are severe delays on the Bakerloo Line because of earlier signal problems.

    For more travel news, visit BBC London's travel website.

     
  26.  
    Sunny spells 08:08:

    Mist, fog and low cloud at first will quickly thin and break to leave long spells of sunshine from mid morning.

    Further spells of sunshine are expected this afternoon but a few sharp showers are expected to develop. Maximum temperature: 24C (75F).

     
  27.  
    08:00: Matthew Bell BBC News, London

    Good morning. I'll be bringing you all the latest news, sport, travel and weather from London today for BBC Local Live.

    You can send your news, pictures and comments to london.locallive@bbc.co.uk.

     

Features

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SpiderWeb of wonder

    BBC Earth takes a unique journey inside the body of a giant tarantula

Programmes

  • A person taking a photo of fireworks on a smartphoneClick Watch

    A look at the latest gadgets which could make it easier to take the perfect night-time picture

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.