Care owners sentenced over migrants working illegally

Gloria Foster on her wedding day in 1980 Image copyright Family picture
Image caption Gloria Foster, pictured on her wedding day in 1980, died after being left unattended for nine days

A couple who ran a nursing agency, whose closure after a raid led to the death of a client, have been sentenced for using migrants working illegally.

Gloria Foster, 81, died when she was left for nine days without food, water or medication following the UK Border Agency raid on her care provider.

Owner Mahendrasing Caussyram was jailed for three years.

His wife Sarapedy was given a 12-month suspended sentence and 150 hours community service.

Croydon Crown Court heard how the couple, of Burdon Lane, Sutton hired 52 migrants, mainly from the Philippines, to work illegally as carers and nurses at their company CareFirst 24

Both were sentenced after being found guilty of facilitating breaches of immigration law, by engaging non-EU migrants after their visas had expired.

Mahendrasing Caussyram , 51, was found guilty of a second count of facilitating breaches of immigration law, by hiring staff in breach of student or general visas. His wife, 54, was acquitted on that charge.

A third charge of concealing criminal property was left on file after the jury failed to agree verdicts.

The couple's accountant, Omid Nabbey, 37, of Hartley Down, Purley, faced the same charges, but the judge earlier directed he had no case to answer.

All three had denied the charges.

Image caption Mahendrasing and Saraspedy Caussyram ran Care First 24 from offices in Sutton, south London

Their offices at Upper Mulgrave Road in Sutton, South London were raided by the UK Border Agency and police on 15 January 2013.

A review said Border Agency staff warned social services a day earlier to make alternative arrangements, but Mrs Foster was left without help at her home in Banstead, Surrey.

She had paid for four visits a day to help her get out of bed, dress, wash and take medication.

A community nurse found her on 24 January collapsed on her bed suffering from dehydration and starvation. She died in hospital 11 days later.

A coroner said she died of natural causes contributed to by neglect.

He referred to a "gross failure" by Surrey County Council to provide the care required.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites