Beds, Herts & Bucks

Leighton Buzzard gas main fire forces homes evacuation

Forty residents had to be evacuated from their homes after sparking power cables set fire to a leaking gas main in a Bedfordshire town.

Crews were called to Leighton Buzzard at 07:20 GMT after workmen reported the fire on Stanbridge Road.

Bedfordshire fire service said the men were working on low voltage cables in the road when the main caught alight.

Police closed the road and 24 homes were evacuated. Three fire crews had the blaze under control by 09:40 GMT.

The fire service said Stanbridge Road remains closed and local homes will be temporarily without gas and electricity while workers replace electricity cables and the gas main.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites