Luton and Millwall FA Cup tie: Four jailed over 'stand-off'

Police escort Millwall fans to the station following the match with Luton Town Police escorted Millwall fans to the station following the match with Luton Town

Related Stories

Four men have been jailed for affray after trouble broke out as Luton Town faced Millwall in an FA Cup tie this year.

There was a short "stand-off" between police and some fans in Dudley Street and Old Bedford Road in Luton before kick-off on 16 February, police said.

After the game, a number of incidents took place in the town centre.

Nine men appeared at Luton Magistrates Court. Five others were fined for public order and drinking offences.

All the defendants, aged between 19 and 39, pleaded guilty to the offences, which took place on the day of the FA Cup fifth round match at Luton's Kenilworth Road ground, which ended in a 3-0 win for Millwall.

Banning orders

Nicky Sanders, 21, of Whipperly Way, Luton, was jailed for six weeks and Tyrone Fuge, 39, of Lowther Road, Dunstable, was given a 10-week sentence.

Christopher Fowler, 36, of Chantry Avenue, Kempston, will serve a 14-week jail term, while Benjamin Currington, 25, of Clifton Road, Shefford will serve five weeks.

The four men were also given six-year football banning orders,

Four other men were ordered to pay fines, court costs and victim surcharges for offences under Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986. Each received three-year football banning orders.

Luton man Grant Mitchell, 19, of Parys Road, must pay £360. Daniel O'Keefe, 19, of Aldbanks, Dunstable and Aaron Timms, 19, of Stewartby Way, Stewartby, were ordered to pay £215, while Joshua Plumb, 19, of St Leonards Street, Bedford, must pay £265.

Ben Smith, 25, of Williams Way, Flitwick must pay £580 for being drunk and disorderly and received a three-year football banning order.

Three other men charged with offences surrounding the same game were dealt with earlier.

Last month, Thomas Howson, 19, of Mentmore Crescent, Dunstable was ordered to pay £305 and received a three-year football banning order. Kevin Davis, 33, of Queensdale Crescent, London received a 12-month conditional discharge for public order offences and had to pay £100 costs.

Liam Jones, 26, of Chapel Street, Luton, appeared before magistrates on 11 September and pleaded not guilty to similar offences. He is due for trial at the same court on 23 October.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Beds, Herts & Bucks



Min. Night 10 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Toronto Mayor Rob FordFord nation

    Toronto mayor's enemies unite with him in new battle

  • Tattooed person using tabletRogue ink

    People who lost their jobs because of their tattoos

  • Climate change protestersBig deal or big dud?

    Success of massive climate march remains in doubt

  • An ant and a humanAnts v humans

    Do all the world's ants really weigh as much as all the humans?

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • GeoguessrWhere in the world...?

    Think you are a geography expert? Test your knowledge with BBC Travel’s interactive game


  • TokyoThe Travel Show Watch

    Japan has a reputation for being expensive but can you visit without breaking the bank?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.