Beds, Herts & Bucks

Pupils rescued after Radlett school coach catches fire

Coach on fire in Radlett Image copyright Amanda Benezra
Image caption The coach was "well-alight", Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said

Children had to be rescued when a coach taking them to school caught fire.

The single-decker bus was "well alight on the road" when the fire service was called at 07:26 GMT to Watling Street, Radlett, Hertfordshire.

Fifteen children were evacuated and no-one was hurt, the fire service said. The blaze was extinguished by 08:00.

Little Bus Company owner Jeremy Reese said: "The driver was brilliant. He did exactly what he should and everyone's safe."

The fire took hold in the rear wheel area, he said.

Image copyright Amanda Benezra
Image caption Early morning commuters watched the plumes of smoke from Radlett station

"As soon as it was noticed, the driver stopped, got everyone off incredibly quickly and we're very glad no-one was hurt.

"A parent was following the coach and said she couldn't believe how quickly he acted."

The children were on their way to school in Barnet.

Mr Reese said another coach was sent to take them on their journey, although "some of the children were a little shocked and went home".

The road remains partially closed for recovery work.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites