Wokingham carbon monoxide father in death warning

Katie Haines Mrs Haines was a former journalist and worked as a press officer in Oxford

Related Stories

The father of a Berkshire woman who died from carbon monoxide poisoning is campaigning for better awareness about the risks.

Katie Haines, 31, was discovered by her husband, Richard, who tried to resuscitate her at a house in Barkham Road, Wokingham, Berkshire in February.

Her father Gordon Samuel said a faulty boiler caused a gas leak in the house.

He wants more done to ensure gas appliances are regularly checked and serviced.

Mrs Haines, a former journalist, worked as a press officer at Oxford University and had recently married before her death.

'Silent killer'

Her father said: "She was a perfect daughter. She was a very sociable young woman.

"There was a phrase that came through at her funeral which was that she was the glue that held everybody together among her friends.

"She was at the height of happiness... then two months later she was killed by this silent killer."

Mr Samuel attended the launch of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week at the House of Lords on Monday where a number of experts in the industry spoke.

He also said anyone with gas devices in their home should fit an audible alarm.

"It came happen very quickly, the concentration of carbon monoxide was so great that she had inhaled 45% into her bloodstream.

"Gas devices, like cookers, can be lethal, and they need to be cleaned as well as serviced."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Berkshire



Min. Night 6 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show


  • A robotClick Watch

    The latest in robotics including software that can design electronics to solve problems

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.