Berkshire

Boy, 13, burned in Berkshire barbecue blaze

A teenager has been severely burned after being engulfed in flames from a barbecue in Berkshire.

The 13-year-old had to be airlifted to a specialist burns unit after the incident in Poyle, Slough, on Friday.

Firefighters said model aircraft fuel had been poured on to the barbecue in Cottesbrooke Close at about 1605 BST, causing an explosive reaction.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service has urged people to never use fuel on barbecues.

Area manager Andy Mancey said: "This terrible incident is a tragic example of what can go wrong. Never pour fuel on to a barbecue - it is a phenomenally dangerous thing to do.

"This is at the worst end of the scale but every year, we are called to attend barbecues that have got out of control, often because people have got impatient and added some sort of fuel to the lit barbecue to hurry things along."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites