Warning after two Berkshire house fires are caused by mirrors

Scene after fire Image copyright Kevin Poolman/
Image caption A house fire in Caversham in December was started by a makeup mirror reflecting light on to curtains

A warning over fires started by mirrors has been issued after two fires in Berkshire in the space of three weeks.

A bedroom at a house in Bracknell was damaged after a bed caught fire on Wednesday afternoon.

In a separate blaze in December, a makeup mirror reflecting light on to curtains sparked a blaze which seriously damaged a house in Caversham.

Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service (RBFRS) said such fires were rare but homeowners should take care.

Fire crews tackling the blaze at Cabin Moss, Bracknell used a thermal imaging camera to pinpoint the cause of the bedroom fire as being a small mirror reflecting sunlight on to the bed.

Six fire crews tackled the blaze at Caversham Grange, Berkshire, after it took hold on 28 December.

Large parts of the second floor and roof of the multi-million pound home were destroyed.

Tregear Thomas of RBFRS said: "I would encourage people to make sure reflective items such as mirrors are not placed in direct view of sunlight in the home - particularly in these winter months."

Image copyright Royal berkshire fire and rescue service

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites