Berkshire

Slough house fire pair rescued after becoming trapped

Fire-damaged kitchen Image copyright RBFRS
Image caption The fire was believed to have started due to an electrical fault, but firefighters are still investigating

Two people were rescued from a fire at their house in Slough.

The couple, believed to be in their 60s, were woken up by a smoke detector after the fire started on the ground floor of their St Pauls Avenue home.

The pair, who were trapped upstairs, were given "life-saving" advice over the phone by Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service before firefighters arrived.

South Central Ambulance Service took the couple to hospital for checks.

Image copyright RBFRS
Image caption The couple had to climb through a window and down a ladder to safety

Watch manager Paul Watts, of the fire service, said after the couple rang 999 "the control room were in contact with the occupants, giving them life-saving guidance on how to block smoke into the room they were in."

Firefighters rescued them from the first floor 11 minutes later with a ladder from the window.

Station Manager Jess James said the fire is believed to be electrical in origin and there was "no doubt" the couple's lives had been saved because of the smoke detectors.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites