Birmingham & Black Country

Explosion at garage in Selly Oak leaves two men burned

Homes close to the explosion
Image caption The explosion happened in a detached lock-up behind a residential street in Selly Oak, Birmingham

Two men have suffered extensive burns in an explosion at a garage in Birmingham.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said one of the victims, 41, was in a critical condition following the blast, which involved a propane gas cylinder.

It happened in Gristhorpe Road, Selly Oak, and emergency crews were alerted to the incident at about 15:15 BST.

The critically hurt man suffered about 70% burns while the other, aged 35, had 20-30% burns on the front of his body.

Cordon in place

He is said to be in a serious condition at the city's Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where both men are being treated.

Medics at the hospital were put on standby after paramedics got to the garage and the 41-year-old was taken for immediate surgery on his arrival.

West Midlands Fire Service said the explosion had occurred in a detached concrete lock-up garage.

A specialist fire investigator is attempting to establish the cause of the incident, which saw a 200m cordon put in place while the cylinder was cooled and made safe.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites