Birmingham & Black Country

Woman dies in Walsall house fire

A woman has died in a fire at a house in the West Midlands that is thought to have been started by a cigarette.

The ambulance service was called to the semi-detached house in Greenwood Road, Walsall, at about 15:15 BST on Monday.

A firefighter gave the woman CPR before ambulance crews took over but she was later pronounced dead in hospital.

The cause was described by the fire service as suspected careless disposal of smoking materials. A bedroom was severely damaged in the fire.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites