Birmingham & Black Country

Jury sees CCTV of fatal shop attack in Birmingham

A jury has been shown CCTV footage of the moment a shopkeeper was stabbed to death as he tried to defend his Birmingham store against robbers.

Suppiah Tharmaseelan was repeatedly stabbed and badly beaten at the Select Convenience store in College Road, Kingstanding, on 27 November 2010.

Five men, including a pair of twins, have admitted robbery at the store, but deny murder, the prosecution said.

Birmingham Crown Court heard Mr Tharmaseelan, 48, was "defenceless".

'Running away'

Twins John Meenan, of Camberley Grove, Erdington, and Ian Meenan, of Short Heath Road, Erdington, 27, are charged with his murder.

Anthony Mark Bayliss, 25, his brother Liam Ryan, 19, both of Gretton Road, Erdington, and James Moore, 25, of Twickenham Road, Kingstanding, are also charged with the man's murder.

Timothy Mousley QC, prosecuting, said the married father-of-four "was literally running away for his life", as he was attacked just before 22:00 GMT.

The court was shown CCTV footage of the defendants entering the store.

One man, said by the prosecution to be Ian Meenan, is seen lunging across the counter with a large knife, leading the shopkeeper to pull out a baseball bat in a bid to protect himself.

Pinned to ground

Images show Mr Tharmaseelan being pushed to the ground and punched and kicked before he is stabbed repeatedly.

As the shopkeeper is being attacked, one of the men is seen stealing cigarettes from behind the counter.

A shop worker is also seen being attacked and pinned to the ground. Mr Mousley told the court that Mr Ryan had pleaded guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm in relation to the man.

The prosecutor said the defendants had spent the afternoon of 27 November at The Leopard pub in Erdington.

Some of the defendants returned to the pub, on Jerry's Lane, after the alleged offence, in what the prosecution claims was a bid to establish an alibi.

The Leopard's owner, Scott Henderson, 38, of Penns Lane, Sutton Coldfield, and barman David Doyle, 46, of Chingford Road, Kingstanding, are accused of attempting to cover up the alleged crime by trying to destroy CCTV footage from the pub.

The prosecution alleged that Mr Henderson called the pub in the early hours of 28 November, instructing Mr Doyle to delete the previous evening's footage.

Both men deny perverting the course of justice.

All seven defendants were remanded in custody. The trial was adjourned until Monday.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites