Oldbury child kidnaps and sex abuse: Michael Jackson jailed

Michael Jackson, from Oldbury Jackson was convicted of two indecent assaults in the early 1980s

Related Stories

A "predatory" paedophile who kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 10-year-old boy he held prisoner in a cupboard has been jailed indefinitely.

Michael Jackson, who had tied up the boy, was arrested last November after the child was found at his flat in Oldbury, West Midlands.

The abduction and abuse sparked mass street protests across Oldbury.

Wolverhampton Crown Court heard Jackson, 50, also abducted a girl, 11, in the West Midlands in September 2011.

Det Ch Insp Gary Booth said the cases had left the victims and their families "traumatised" and they were still recovering a year on.

He said: "This time last year we had two normal children. They are now introverted and they don't like going out alone."

Judge Martin Walsh ordered Jackson to serve at least seven years before being eligible to apply for parole.

Pliers and hammer

Jackson, from Bristnall Hall Road, pleaded guilty in May to abducting the girl. He admitted charges including sexual assault, false imprisonment and kidnap relating to the boy's disappearance.

Hundreds of people held demonstrations in the local area after his arrest, calling for action to protect local children from paedophiles.

Det Ch Insp Gary Booth: "These offences have left the victims and their families completely traumatised"

The judge told Jackson: "I am satisfied that had [the boy] not escaped, he would have been subjected to further serious sexual abuse or worse.

"He was, fortuitously, able to escape from the cupboard. When he entered the bedroom, he saw a knife, pliers and a hammer - articles he believed would be used to kill him.

"It is simply impossible to imagine the sheer terror experienced by that young child as a result of your actions."

West Midlands Police said the boy had failed to return home after walking to a shop. His mother then called police and a search started.

The force said neighbours also helped with the hunt and less than two hours later police broke into the flat and found the boy.

His hands had been bound but he had managed to escape from a cupboard and moved towards a window in the flat, where he was spotted by a woman looking for him.

Jackson repeatedly threatened to kill the boy, who was abducted in an alleyway, and held him prisoner in the cupboard during a three-hour ordeal.

Reaction from Sandwell United Parents

The Sandwell United Parents group said it was "delighted" with the sentence.

The group was formed almost 12 months ago in response to the kidnappings and its members included family of the victims.

Secretary Sue Cadman said she hoped the sentence would allow the family and friends of the victims to move on with their lives, which had been "on hold" during the case.

Ms Cadman said the group would continue to work with the police to promote safety, both online and on the streets for youngsters in the Sandwell area.

Police chiefs praised the group's work to improve communications between residents and officers.

Ms Cadman said the sentence was all about offering the families involved a chance to "rebuild their lives knowing he [Jackson] can't hurt a child again".

He gagged and bound the victim with tape and a rope, placed a craft knife near him and warned him his father would be murdered, the court heard.

Debi Gould, prosecuting, said the boy had been found after Jackson had left the flat in an attempt to construct an alibi.

Miss Gould told the court: "The defendant said [to the boy], 'Don't bother screaming or you are dead - it's time to die if you make a noise'."

She said Jackson had put a pillowcase over the boy's head and had also told him he would never see his mother again.

The two children were now struggling to sleep and socialise, the court heard.

Det Ch Insp Booth said the case had been "totally shocking" and "horrific" and described Jackson as a "serial predator who preys on young children".

Jackson, who was originally called Albert English, was convicted of two indecent assaults in the early 1980s and jailed for 30 months.

Defence lawyer John Attwood said Jackson, who was unemployed and claiming disability benefits, had been receiving treatment under the Mental Health Act.

Judge Walsh stressed it was likely to be "very many years, if ever" before Jackson was judged safe to be freed from prison.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Birmingham & Black Country



Min. Night 2 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Signposts showing the US and UK flagsAn ocean apart

    How British misunderstanding of the US is growing

  • Before and after shotsPerfect body

    Just how reliable are 'before and after' photos?

  • Mukesh SinghNo remorse

    Delhi bus rapist says victim shouldn't have fought back

  • A cow wearing sunglasses overlaid with the phrase 'Can't touch this'Cow row

    Thousands rally against the ban on beef in India

Elsewhere on the BBC


  • Former al-Qaeda double agent Aimen DeanHARDtalk Watch

    Islamic State is about revenge says former al-Qaeda member turned spy Aimen Dean

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.