Birmingham & Black Country

Gas explosion at Edgbaston house 'accidental'

Explosion scene Image copyright West Midlands Fire Service
Image caption Two other properties were affected by the explosion

An explosion at a house which blew the property's roof off while two people were inside was an accident, investigators say.

A man was seen running out of the wreckage screaming after the blast at a two-storey house in Edgbaston, Birmingham on Wednesday.

He made his own way to hospital, paramedics said. A woman was uninjured.

West Midlands Fire Service said the cause of the explosion was gas set alight accidentally by a naked flame.

Next door neighbour Tracy Clayton, who was at home with her husband at the time, said they had to stay away from her home on Wednesday night.

She told BBC News she is not sure when they can return.

Image copyright West Midlands Fire Service
Image caption The roof was blown off the property by the blast

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites