Birmingham & Black Country

Birmingham pool bug 'caused children to be ill'

Pool Image copyright Google Maps
Image caption Birmingham Community Leisure Trust said it was now working alongside Public Health England to ensure the pool was safe for public use

Several children have fallen ill after using a Birmingham swimming pool where a chlorine-resistant bug was detected.

Cocks Moors Woods pool closed on 23 May after the parasite Cryptosporidium, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, was found in the water,

Birmingham Community Leisure Trust, which runs the pool, said prompt action had been taken to tackle the issue.

Caroline Hassan, whose son was hospitalised and was ill for five weeks, said it had "been hell".

She said: "He's still suffering and we've had five trips to A&E."

The trust said the pool closed on 23 May and would reopen on 4 June.

Read more stories for Birmingham

Suzanne Lommi, whose two children were ill, claimed the pool in Kings Heath was "cutting corners" with its cleaning.

She said: "I was disgusted with the state of the swimming baths, the changing rooms, even the toilets.

"There were dirty nappies and there was a strong smell of urine. The pool was very murky."

Other people claimed on the pool's Facebook page that the changing rooms were "disgusting".

Image copyright Science Photo Library
Image caption Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite that causes diarrhoea

The trust said the bug was "introduced by an external source".

A trust spokeswoman said: "Our swimming pool is maintained to a high standard and cleaned regularly throughout the day, and we encourage people to follow hygiene guidelines."

All pools were regularly tested by external hygiene specialists, she said, but as it is a rare bug, it was not usually tested.

The trust said it was now working alongside Public Health England to ensure the pool was safe.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites