Birmingham & Black Country

Wall Heath Hickory's Smokehouse restaurant fire began accidentally

Scene
Image caption The blaze was caused by an electrical fault in a fridge, West Midlands Fire Service confirmed

A fire that ripped through the roof of a site where The Beatles once played was an accident, investigators say.

One hundred firefighters were called to Hickory's Smokehouse restaurant in Wall Heath in the Black Country - a Grade II-listed former nightclub.

West Midlands Fire Service confirmed the blaze on 25 August was caused by an electrical fault in a fridge.

It said some of the roof collapsed into the restaurant at the site where The Beatles played in the 1960s.

Image copyright West Midlands Fire Service
Image caption One hundred firefighters tackled the blaze

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites