Birmingham & Black Country

Birmingham Hospital failings led to baby's death

Cohen Mark Joseph Cross Image copyright Family picture
Image caption Cohen Mark Joseph Cross was born on 1 October 2016 via emergency caesarean section at Birmingham Women's Hospital

A hospital has admitted failing a two-day-old baby who died from multiple-organ failure and a lack of oxygen.

Kaleigh Elwell, was 35 weeks pregnant when she was admitted to Birmingham Women's Hospital experiencing bleeding in October 2016.

The hospital's investigation found communication problems led to a delay in Ms Elwell's emergency C-section.

Ms Elwell believes her baby son would be alive if there had not been a delay in his delivery, her lawyer said.

Image copyright Family picture
Image caption Kaleigh Elwell was treated as a "high-risk patient"

When Cohen Mark Joseph Cross was born on 1 October 2016, he was floppy and did not open his eyes.

A report carried out by the trust that runs Birmingham Women's Hospital found staff had struggled to find the baby's heartbeat for several hours.

More Birmingham and Black Country stories here

Ms Elwell was being treated as a "high-risk patient" due to problems in previous pregnancies and she later learned she had suffered a placental abruption.

Ms Elwell from Birmingham said her and her family are "struggling" to come to terms with Cohen's death.

"The findings of the report into his birth are incredibly hard to read and it has left us with many questions regarding whether more should have been done to prevent his death."

Image copyright Family picture
Image caption Kaleigh and her family were informed of Cohen's poor prognosis

The trust claims "important lessons" have been learnt and they have carried out "enhanced training" for staff.

A spokesperson for Birmingham Women's Hospital said: "We would like to offer our sincere and heartfelt condolences to Kaleigh and her family following the tragic death of baby Cohen.

"We recognise that there were a number of failings in the care we provided upon admission to the ward and the staff involved are devastated about what happened."

Related Topics

More on this story