Bradford

Fatal West Yorkshire house fire started by cigarette

A 90-year-old woman has died in a house fire in West Yorkshire which was started by a dropped cigarette.

Fire crews were called to the property on High Mill Lane at Addingham near Ilkley in the early hours. They found the house was heavily smoke logged.

The woman was taken to Airedale General Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Chris Clarke, from West Yorkshire Fire Service, urged people to be extremely cautious when smoking at home.

He said: "We understand for some people it's their one and only pleasure in life but what we'd say to carers and individuals who chose to smoke, just be extremely careful and we'd encourage people not to smoke in bed."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites