Shrien Dewani 'threatened to punch hospital worker'

Shrien Dewani arriving in court on 24 February Shrien Dewani's wife died in November, two weeks after their wedding

A man accused of ordering his wife's murder on their honeymoon was ordered out of the hospital he was being treated at, a court has been told.

Shrien Dewani, 31, from Bristol, who is facing extradition proceedings to South Africa, was a patient at The Priory hospital in the city.

City of Westminster Magistrates' Court was told police were called following allegations Mr Dewani threatened to punch a member of hospital staff.

Mr Dewani denies any wrongdoing.

The South African authorities want him to face trial over allegations he ordered the killing of his wife Anni Dewani, 28, in Cape Town last November.

'Volatile' conduct

The court was told of allegations of his "disruptive behaviour" at The Priory over the weekend and how staff asked for him to be removed.

At the hearing on Thursday District Judge Howard Riddle renewed his bail.

Mr Dewani, who is said to be suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder, was transferred to Cygnet Hospital Kewstoke, a low secure mental health hospital in North Somerset, on Monday.

He is now awaiting a mental health assessment and transferral to Bristol's Fromeside Clinic, a medium secure NHS hospital where he would be under supervision 24 hours a day.

Hugo Keith QC, representing the South African authorities, read out a statement from a staff nurse at The Priory detailing Mr Dewani's "volatile" conduct.

He said: "She reports that... he had never been fully compliant, he complained a lot. He has shouted at staff and been aggressive towards them."

He had also grown irritated, on occasions, at being under observation by staff, the court was told.

Taxi driver jailed

Mr Dewani remains subject to £250,000 bail and the requirement he reports daily to a local police station.

Mrs Dewani, from Sweden, was shot when a cab the couple were travelling in was hijacked in the Gugulethu township in Cape Town.

Her body was later found in the abandoned car. Mr Dewani had been released unharmed.

Mziwamadoda Qwabe, 25, and Xolile Mngeni, 23, are charged with murder, kidnapping and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

The trial in South Africa of Mr Qwabe and Mr Mngeni has been postponed until 1 June for further investigation.

Taxi driver Zola Tongo, 31, from Bothasig, Cape Town, has been sentenced to 18 years in jail for murder, kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances and perverting the course of justice.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Bristol



Min. Night 2 °C

Features & Analysis

  • A very clever little girlBrain gain

    Why are people getting better at intelligence tests?

  • Don Roberto Placa Quiet Don

    The world's worst interview - with one of the loneliest men on Earth

  • Welsh society plaqueDistant valley

    How St David's Day is marked in one community far from Wales

  • BeefaloBeefalo hunt

    The hybrid animal causing havoc in the Grand Canyon

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • KnucklesGood or bad?

    For many it can be very satisfying to 'crack' the bones in your hand, but is it bad for you?


  • BatteriesClick Watch

    More power to your phone - the lithium-ion batteries that could last twice as long

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.