Bristol

Stokes Croft Tesco disorder investigation 'not over'

Damaged Tesco store
Image caption The Tesco Express store in Stokes Croft was damaged in protests on Thursday night

Police investigating a protest in Bristol which saw a controversial Tesco store damaged have said their inquiry is "far from over".

The Tesco Express store in Stokes Croft had its windows smashed during the disorder on Thursday night.

Police said they had now taken part in "some positive meetings" with interested parties to discuss how to support the community.

They are also continuing to look through CCTV footage of the incident.

The violence happened after police raided a property occupied by squatters opposite the shop.

Nine people were arrested and four appeared in court on Saturday, on various charges.

Meanwhile, five others who were arrested during the disturbance have been bailed, released or charged.

'Returning to normal'

Joseph Foster, 20, of no fixed abode, is due before Bristol magistrates on 28 April charged with having an article with intent to destroy/damage property and threats to destroy/damage property.

Steven Brand, 19, from Frome was charged on suspicion of burglary and will appear before Bristol magistrates on 17 May.

A youth, aged 16, and a man, 31, who were arrested on suspicion of affray and violent disorder have been released on police bail.

A 27-year-old man was also given a police caution while a 19-year-old man from Bournemouth, who had been arrested on suspicion of violent disorder, was released without charge.

Supt Julian Moss, of Avon and Somerset Police, said things were "rapidly returning to normal in Stokes Croft".

He said: "Residents and traders are understandably keen to return to normal away from the headlines and spotlight, and we've had some positive meetings today which will help support them.

"Neighbourhood policing teams have been patrolling the Cheltenham Road area as usual, and have continued to be welcomed by local people.

"It has already been reported that we have made nine arrests, but our investigation is far from over.

"We are still scrutinising at a large amount of CCTV footage and local people can be assured that we will arrest anybody who we identify as having played a part in the events which disrupted the lives of so many residents and traders," Supt Moss added.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites