Bristol

Bristol nightclub Lakota to learn of council decision

Joe Simons
Image caption Joe Simons went to the Lakota club in Stokes Croft with friends

A Bristol nightclub is due to find out on Wednesday if it is to face council action over the death of a teenager.

Joe Simons, 16, from Bath, died in hospital two days after going to Lakota in Stokes Croft on 30 April.

It is claimed he took the Class A drug ecstasy at the club.

In a letter read to the city council's licensing sub-committee on Monday, Joe's father Tom described his son as talented with a bright future. He wants the club's licence to be revoked.

'Brilliant actor'

Brian McGee, of Beechen Cliff School, which Joe attended, paid tribute to an "exceptional student".

"He was really bright, he was very academically able, but also very sporty and a brilliant actor as well," he said.

Image caption The club's owner believes the drugs were bought elsewhere

"He was on target to get excellent A-Levels and apply for a really top university. He could have done anything he wanted."

The hearing was told the family-run club enjoys a good reputation and says it has a zero-tolerance policy on drugs, but knows mistakes were made that night.

Its owner believes the drugs were bought outside the club, which closed temporarily and has been helping with the police investigation.

Avon and Somerset Police have not asked for the licence to be revoked, saying the venue is run by a responsible operator which had had a "significant failing in its procedures".

Councillors said there were some "serious issues" they wanted to consider in depth. A decision is due to be made on Wednesday afternoon.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites