Bristol

Nail bar fire on Gloucester Road started 'accidentally'

Scene of fire
Image caption Eyewitnesses described hearing a big explosion just after 1000 BST on Saturday

A fire which badly damaged a nail bar in Bristol on Saturday was probably started accidentally, fire investigators have said.

Emergency services were called to Creations Nail Studio on Gloucester Road after reports of the blaze.

An Avon Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said investigators believed the fire most probably started as the result of an electrical fault.

No-one was injured. The busy road was closed for five hours.

Eyewitnesses described hearing an explosion just after 1000 BST and said a van parked nearby and a set of traffic lights caught fire.

Six fire engines and a control unit attended.

Gloucester Road, Zetland Road, Somerville Road and nearby side roads were closed, leading to severe delays to motorists in the Bishopston area of the city.

The incident disrupted motorists heading to England's sold-out Twenty20 match against Sri Lanka at the County Ground.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites