Bristol

Two hurt in sulphuric acid splash on Gloucester Road

Two pedestrians from Bristol were treated in hospital for burns to their legs after they were sprayed with sulphuric acid.

The pair, a man and woman in their 20s, were walking along Gloucester Road, Bishopston, when a passing car ran over a bottle.

A Great Western Ambulance Service spokesman said when paramedics arrived the victims' clothing were smouldering.

Both were taken to Bristol's Frenchay Hospital for treatment to their burns.

"The bottle of sulphuric acid was lying in the road and run over by a passing car, shooting the contents several feet, including over the two patients," the ambulance service spokesman said.

"In order to identify the substance paramedics took the bottle of powerful drain cleaner into a nearby hardware shop which stocked the same brand."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites