Vincent Tabak trial: Jury visits Jo Yeates's flat

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe jury saw inside the flat where Jo Yeates lived and where she was allegedly killed

The jury in the trial of Vincent Tabak has visited the flat where Bristol landscape architect Jo Yeates lived and where prosecutors say she was murdered.

The six-man, six-woman jury was taken from Bristol Crown Court to key locations in the case, on Wednesday.

Tabak, a 33-year-old Dutch engineer, admits Miss Yeates's manslaughter, but denies her murder.

Miss Yeates, 25, from Ampfield, Hampshire, disappeared on 17 December 2010 after going for drinks in Bristol.

The jury retraced the route she took that evening, up Park Street and past the Bristol Ram pub, where she had gone for drinks with colleagues.

Image caption Tabak has admitted manslaughter but denies murder

They also went to a Waitrose store Miss Yeates is known to have visited, as well as the Tesco Express store where she bought a pizza.

Jurors also visited 53 Canynge Road, where a party was held on the night she disappeared, and to Percival Court, adjacent to the rear of Miss Yeates's flat.

The jury was then taken to her flat at 44 Canynge Road, which has been preserved as it was on the evening she died, before the group went to Longwood Lane in Failand, North Somerset, where Miss Yeates's body was discovered.

'Not instantaneous'

William Clegg QC, defending Tabak, asked the jury on Tuesday to take note of how long it takes to walk from the Hophouse pub in Clifton to 44 Canynge Road and to number 53 Canynge Road.

He asked them to take a particularly close look at the view from Miss Yeates's kitchen window, which looks on to the path to the front door.

It was believed Miss Yeates and Tabak first saw each other through the window, he said.

He also asked the jury to walk from 44 Canynge Road to the front door of number 53.

Mr Clegg told them: "We would like you to go there and have in mind, having already been to number 44, whether in your judgment you think it possible that [a] scream that was made inside the flat of number 44 could possibly be heard if you are standing outside number 53?

"The defence are going to suggest that it was by no means certain that the scream that was heard was connected to this event at all because of the distance involved."

On Tuesday, the prosecution told the court how Tabak was said to have used his height and build to overpower the 25-year-old victim's 5ft 4in frame.

Prosecutor Nigel Lickley QC told the trial: "She was alive when it happened. Death was not instantaneous."

Following the site visits, the jurors were sent home for the day.

The trial is expected to last four weeks.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites