Anni Dewani murder accused pleads not guilty
- 15 August 2012
- From the section Bristol
A man has pleaded not guilty to murdering honeymooner Anni Dewani in South Africa.
Xolile Mngeni's trial at the Western Cape High Court, in Cape Town, is expected to last for six weeks.
Mrs Dewani, 28, from Sweden, was shot when a taxi she was in was hijacked in the Gugulethu township in November 2010.
Her husband Shrien Dewani, 32, from Bristol, is accused of arranging her murder but denies the charge.
An extradition order for the care home owner to face trial in South Africa had been agreed, but was halted by the High Court in London on mental health grounds.
Mr Mngeni was named as an accomplice by Mziwamadoda Qwabe, who last week pleaded guilty to her murder.
Qwabe was jailed for 25 years last Wednesday.
On Monday a judge ruled that Mr Mngeni, who has a brain tumour, was fit to stand trial.
Appearing at Western Cape High Court Mr Mngeni denied murder, kidnapping, robbery and illegal possession of a firearm.
He also refused to make any formal admissions meaning the case will probably be lengthened with prosecutors having to prove each fact.
Judge Robert Henney said the murder charge carried a life sentence "because of the manner in which it was planned".
He said the kidnapping charge carried a minimum sentence of five years and the robbery charge 15 years.
Up to 32 witnesses could be called to give evidence, a state prosecutor said.