Bristol police injured in City v Rovers pitch invasion

Bristol City fans are separated from Bristol Rovers fans by police It was the first match between City and Rovers for seven years
Police and stewards separating fans in the stands at Ashton Gate Police and stewards separated fans as the match was played out
Riot Police on horseback clear the pitch at Ashton Gate Mounted police were called into action when fans invaded the pitch

Related Stories

Three police officers were injured when rival football fans invaded the pitch at the end of a cup match.

Supporters rushed on to the pitch at the end of a Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie between Bristol City and Bristol Rovers.

A total of 19 people were arrested as mounted police and officers in riot gear kept fans apart.

The Football Association (FA) said it was "looking into" the circumstances surrounding the pitch invasion.

A spokesman said the referee's match report had mentioned three separate incursions on to the pitch including the mass invasion at the end of the game.

The FA has now written to Bristol City asking the club for its observations and is awaiting a report from a crowd control advisor who was at the match.

'Goad opposition'

It was the first derby between City and Rovers in seven years and tensions were high from the outset.

The managers of both clubs criticised the actions of some fans at City's Ashton Gate ground.

City manager Sean O'Driscoll said afterwards: "It was great up until the final whistle. The scenes at the end were disgraceful.

"You'd think we'd got promoted to the Championship and not the second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy."

A statement from the club said: "Actions from the minority of the near 18,000 crowd has thrust the club into the national media's eye for the wrong reasons."

Rovers boss John Ward said: "It's ridiculous that [supporters] come on the pitch and goad opposition fans. Why people can't behave themselves at a football match is beyond me."

Police in riot gear and stewards were used to keep rival fans apart in the stands during the game.

An Avon and Somerset Police spokesperson said: "There had been a perfect build-up to the game with both sets of fans well behaved and in good humour.

"But as fans began to enter the stadium small isolated pockets of anti-social behaviour broke out in and around the city and outside the ground.

"Known hooligans attached to both clubs were identified and arrests were made."

City beat Rovers 2-1 to reach the second round of the competition.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Bristol



Min. Night 3 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show


  • Kinetic sculpture violinClick Watch

    The "kinetic sculpture" that can replicate digital files and play them on a violin

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.