Bijan Ebrahimi murder: Inspector cleared of gross misconduct
- 13 February 2014
- From the section Bristol
A police inspector is no longer under investigation for gross misconduct as part of a probe into the death of a Bristol man.
Bijan Ebrahimi was killed and his body set on fire after being wrongly branded as a paedophile. He had repeatedly called Avon and Somerset for help.
Five other officers remain under investigation by the police watchdog for allegations of gross misconduct.
Lee James, 24, who admitted murder, was jailed for a minimum of 18 years.
Stephen Norley, 25, also of Capgrove Crescent, Brislington, Bristol, who admitted assisting an offender, was given a four-year jail term at Bristol Crown Court, in November.
On Thursday the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it would be speaking to nearby residents following a "significant mail-drop" in the area.
The IPCC said it was also investigating "a number of reports" of previous police contact with the 44-year-old Iranian national.
"As this investigation unfolds it is imperative that we address all the evidence emerging - so that we get to the truth of what happened," a spokeswoman said.
She added three constables had been interviewed under caution by the commission for the potential offence of misconduct in a public office.
"These three officers are the two police constables who attended Capgrave Crescent on the evening of 11 July, and another constable who was made aware of issues regarding Mr Ebrahimi the following day.
"An inspector, sergeant and a constable who dealt with Mr Ebrahimi in custody on 12 July have been interviewed for gross misconduct.
"We have since withdrawn the notice for gross misconduct against the inspector who has been advised that he is no longer subject to IPCC investigation.
"A control room supervisor, a dispatcher and four call handlers who dealt with phone calls from Mr Ebrahimi have also been interviewed by the IPCC for gross misconduct," she added.