Burwell fatal bungalow fire caused by 'smoking materials'

Bungalow fire in Burwell, Cambridgeshire Crews spent four hours dousing the blaze in Burwell

Related Stories

A fire that swept through a Cambridgeshire bungalow killing a young woman may have been caused by a cigarette or lighter, the fire service has said.

The blaze in Hawthorn Way, Burwell, took hold on Saturday morning. A body was found soon afterwards.

An investigation concluded the fire was accidental.

"The most likely cause... was "smoking materials", a spokesman said. No one else was injured in the blaze.

Neighbours described the woman as "bedridden and unable to walk" and said they believed she may have had multiple sclerosis.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Cambridgeshire

Weather

Cambridge

Min. Night 17 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Man holding lipWitch hunt

    The country where a writer accused of blasphemy must run


  • Espresso cupNews quiz

    Which city serves the strongest cup of coffee?


  • Malaysian plane wreckage in UkraineFlight risk

    How odd is it to have three plane crashes in eight days?


  • Irvine WelshDeaf ears

    Five famous Scots who can't vote in the Scottish referendum


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Canada.Hidden rail trip

    Canada's tiny, two-car shuttle is a train lover's dream with scenic views

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.