Andrew Bedford disappearance cold case now murder after 25 years

Andrew Bedford Image copyright Cambs Police
Image caption Detectives believe Andrew Bedford was shot dead at a garage in Ramsey in Cambridgeshire

An investigation into the disappearance of a man almost 25 years ago is now being treated as murder.

Andrew Bedford, 27, from Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire, was last seen at 18:20 BST on Friday, 28 September 1990 at Factory Bank, off Great Whyte, Ramsey.

Three people were arrested in connection but no-one was charged.

Police say they now believe he was shot dead later that Friday. The cold case investigation has now officially become a murder inquiry, officers said.

Mr Bedford was last seen eating a takeaway in a light blue Ford Cortina car.

Image caption Detectives searched a pond in November 1992 after a tip-off Mr Bedford had been shot
Image copyright Cambs Police
Image caption Officers said murder was always a "strong possibility" but Mr Bedford's body was never found

Despite extensive searches involving police helicopters and divers, a nationwide poster campaign and a Crimestoppers reconstruction no trace of Mr Bedford was found.

Prime suspect dead

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said: "It was always known murder was a strong possibility but his body was never found."

However, detectives believe he was killed with a shotgun sometime during the evening of 28 September at a garage called Mongrel Cars, which no longer exists, in Ramsey.

Image caption Police dogs were drafted in to help in the 1992 search for Mr Bedford, which proved fruitless
Image caption A pond in Ramsey was dredged during the search two years after Mr Bedford's disappearance

Three people arrested on 30 September 1990 on suspicion of murdering Mr Bedford were released without charge.

Det Insp Ian Simmons from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: "Having reviewed the circumstances of Andrew's disappearance and given nearly 25 years have passed, we are now confident he is dead and was murdered.

"A team of detectives... is devoted to the cold case and we want to speak to anyone who has any information about Mr Bedford's disappearance and death."

The prime suspect for the shooting is now dead, "but others who were involved have never been brought to justice", the spokesman added.

When Mr Bedford was last seen he was wearing overalls, a khaki jumper, jeans and trainers. He was described as 5ft 8in (1.72m), medium build with mousey blond, curly, shoulder-length hair and had a number of tattoos.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites