Cornwall

Fire-hit indoor market in Cornwall reopens

An indoor market in Cornwall which caught fire has officially reopened.

Seven fire-fighting crews tackled the flames at the height of the fire at Hayle Indoor Market, which is also known as Pratt's market, in February.

Only eight of the 20 businesses are back in after the first stage of repair and renovation works because the rear of the building remains unsafe.

However, business owners said they were glad to back in the former Methodist chapel in time for the tourist season.

Smoke damage

The site was built in 1845 as a chapel but was converted into a shopping arcade in the 1970s.

No-one was injured in the fire on 25 February, which is believed to have started at the back of the building and spread along the ground floor and to upstairs rooms.

Traders began moving back in last month, but the official reopening ceremony was held on Monday morning.

Shelley Kasprzak, from Shelley's Furniture Emporium, who lost 10% of her stock because of smoke damage, said she was relieved to be back.

She said: "Lots of old customers have been able to come back in and we've been able to open before the tourists come down, so that's a bonus."

Work is to carry on to repair the rest of the building.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites