Cornwall

St Mabyn residents treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Three people with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning have been treated in hospital in Cornwall.

A fire crew was sent to a house in St Mabyn on Friday night following the activation of a carbon monoxide detector.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used gas detectors to measure carbon monoxide levels.

It is thought fumes from a wood burning stove caused higher than normal levels of the odourless gas.

The condition of the three casualties is not known.

About 4,000 people a year are diagnosed with CO poisoning in England and Wales, while accidental exposure to the gas is responsible for about 50 deaths a year.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include a headache, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and confusion.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites