Cornwall

Camborne family die in suspected CO poisoning

  • 24 February 2013
  • From the section Cornwall
Tremarle Home Park
Image caption Emergency services broke into the family home after a carer raised the alarm

An elderly couple and their daughter have died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a caravan park.

Firefighters and a specialist hazardous material advisor attended the property at Tremarle Home Park, North Roskear, Camborne on Saturday afternoon.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the man, aged 90, and the two women, aged 86 and 46 were dead when emergency services forced their way into the static home.

An investigation is under way but it is not being treated as suspicious.

'Appalling tragedy'

Speaking on Saturday Insp David Eldridge of Devon and Cornwall Police said they were "called to a caravan park near Camborne in Cornwall, where a helper had been unable to get a reply from an elderly couple who lived in the caravan".

He added: "We were able to see that there was a figure sat in a chair but they were unresponsive to knocks at the door.

"Cornwall Fire and Rescue were called. They forced entry into the property and found that the three occupants were all dead."

Camborne Town Council member David Biggs said the deaths were an "appalling tragedy".

Image caption A floral tribute was left at the family's gate

He said: "Tremarle Park is a residential caravan site and has provided homes for people for many years.

"It's a well established facility and is very well run. It was a shock to learn that three people have died there."

The family's pet dog also died in the incident.

CO is a colourless, odourless gas produced by the incomplete burning of fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Inhaling it reduces the blood's ability to carry oxygen and can be fatal.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites