Coventry & Warwickshire

Coventry man overcome by fumes from cleaning fluids mix

A 51-year-old man from Coventry was taken to hospital after being overcome by chemical fumes while attempting to clean his house on Sunday.

The man brushed a sulphuric acid compound on bathroom tiles at the property in Brays Lane before spraying bleach over the top.

A spokesman for West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service said the two combined to give off a "pungent gas".

Two other people in the house were unaffected by the fumes.

Bill Gough from the fire service said the man, who has since recovered, called them at about 15:00 GMT and that firefighters wearing breathing apparatus had diluted the mixture.

"What we would say to people is read the labels on the tins, bottles and jars of these particular chemicals because they do give in their instructions for use a warning that they shouldn't be used with any other cleaning fluids," Mr Gough added.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites