Tile Hill cats dead after suspected antifreeze poisoning

a cat Cats enjoy the taste of antifreeze

Related Stories

An RSPCA investigation is under way after nine pet cats in one street were poisoned within days of each other.

The cats, who lived in Alan Marcell Close in Tile Hill, Coventry, died from kidney failure.

It is thought by vets that chemicals found in antifreeze, which has a sweet taste cats find attractive, could be the source.

The animal charity said it was possible the poisoning was accidental but deliberate action cannot be ruled out.

Sharon Price's four cats had to be put down after being poisoned.

"When my first cat, Olly, came in, I thought he'd been run over by a car, he looked so poorly.

"I took him to the vet who said it was definitely poisoning and he had to be put to sleep" Ms Price added.

Over the next week, her other cats became ill and also had to be put down.

Ben Jones from the RSPCA said there were multiple ways cats can ingest antifreeze, such as cars leaking and the treatment of water features.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire

Weather

Coventry

17 °C 9 °C

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on BBC News

  • bikeWheels of change

    Ten new bikes that are reinventing the humble two-wheeler for the 21st Century

Programmes

  • A bird of prey in a Tokyo animal cafeThe Travel Show Watch

    From cats to rabbits and birds of prey – Tokyo’s flourishing animal cafe scene

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.