Coventry & Warwickshire

Warwickshire County Council bans 'dangerous' Chinese lanterns

Firefighters tackle blaze in Smethwick Image copyright West Midlands Fire Service
Image caption A huge fire at a recycling plant in Smethwick last year was caused by a Chinese lantern

Chinese lanterns have been banned from land and buildings owned by Warwickshire County Council.

The decision followed a motion by Warwickshire Fire and Rescue.

A huge fire at recycling plant in Smethwick last year was blamed on a Chinese lantern, while warnings were voiced in 2011 after one landed near hay at a Warwickshire farm.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer Gary Philips described them as "extremely dangerous".

He said: "Not only do they set fire to trees and property, but they can frighten animals.

"Some animals have even died because of the heat in the wire and cable of the mechanism."

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue said it hoped the council decision, which covers parks, would also make people think twice before launching them from their gardens.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites