Cumbria

Neighbours aid firefighters in Cumbria blaze rescue

Four people were treated in hospital after a fire in a flat in Cumbria.

An elderly man was rescued from his flat in Moorside Drive, Maryport, early on New Year's Day. He suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

Two neighbours who assisted firefighters and woman who lived in the flat above were also taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke.

A spokesman for Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was caused by an unattended pan in the kitchen.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites