Cumbria

Fire alarm 'saved' Flimby fire family

A family of four rescued from their smoke-filled house in Cumbria was saved by a fire alarm.

A neighbour called the fire brigade after hearing the alarm go off at the house in Brook Street, Flimby, in the early hours of Tuesday.

Firefighters said they had to force their way into the house using breathing apparatus to wake the two adults and two children.

Cumbria Fire Service said the blaze was caused by a grill pan being left on.

Cumbria fire station manager Kevin Bethwaite said: "Another five or 10 minutes and the family could have been in real trouble. The alarm saved their lives."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites