Cumbria

Dowdales School shuts for another day after fire

A Cumbrian school hit by fire will be closed on Tuesday pending more health and safety checks.

Dowdales School, in Dalton-in-Furness, was evacuated during the blaze on Friday. Two members of staff were taken to hospital and released later.

Cumbria County Council said the fire was reported in the food technology unit and early indications were that it may have been caused by a tumble dryer.

A letter to parents said the school would reopen "as soon as possible".

Parents were advised to check the school's website for updates.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites