Kendal Calling injury case: Festival 'underwent £3,500 checks'
- 26 February 2013
- From the section Cumbria
A festival site where a worker got an 11,000 volt shock had undergone £3,350 of safety checks, a court has heard.
Donald Berry, 46, of Radcliffe, near Bury, suffered brain damage when his crane hit a faulty cable at the Kendal Calling music festival in 2010.
Organiser Ben Robinson told Carlisle Crown Court he paid safety specialist Piper Event Services Limited to carry out a risk assessment of the site.
Director Jason Piper and his firm deny breaching and health and safety law.
Festival organiser Kendal Calling has already pleaded guilty to exposing an employee to risk under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
Piper Event Services Limited, of Howle Hill, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, and company director, Mr Piper, 47, of Wye Street, Ross-on-Wye, are both accused of one count of contravening health and safety regulations.
Mr Robinson, a director of Kendal Calling, told the jury at Carlisle Crown Court he hired Mr Piper after realising that the event had grown so big that an experienced health and safety professional was needed.
He said the firm had been recommended and he had asked it to carry out a risk assessment of the site and produce a safety management plan.
Mr Berry was hurt when his crane hit the cable while he was manoeuvring a portable building a few days before the festival at Lowther Park, the hearing heard.
The prosecution told the hearing that the cable was such a "serious and obvious" risk even an "amateur" could have spotted the danger.
The health and safety charges have been brought by Eden District Council.
The trial continues.